The Chilean Ministry of Public Works (MOP) has awarded China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) a contract to develop the Route 5 Chillan - Collipulli highway concession with the contract set to be signed within 3-4 months.
CRCC beat 2 other bidders to win the contract – Sacyr and Intervial Chile.
The MOP released a statement on 21 September stating that CRCC had submitted the best economic and technical proposal.
CRCC's bid amount was CLF 14.215 million ($528m). The concession will last up to 20 years and includes the O&M of the existing infrastructure.
The most significant improvement required is a new turnoff connecting the highway to Collipulli, built as a 2-lane dual carriageway (with third lanes in high-traffic sections), including a bridge over the Malleco river.
Other improvements include:
- new junctions, footbridges, and route adjustment works
- construction of service lanes, pedestrian infrastructure, and associated lighting
- road widening works to allow for central reservations and hard shoulders
- bridge replacements
- resurfacing works throughout the concession
- implementation of a ‘free flow’ system, eliminating the need for toll booths
Cuadra Gajardo & Asociados Abogados is the legal adviser to CRCC.